GCMS Families and Community,
The evolution of demands for public safety and health concerns dealing with COVID-19 (coronavirus) have been rapidly changing and as a result we are seeing unprecedented restrictions and regulations on individuals, communities, and institutions. We have been actively monitoring the suggestions, recommendations, and demands on K-12 Education.
As of 10:00 am March 12, 2020 Public Health has recommended the following of all citizens and specifically K-12 Education.
- Keep Schools Open- where confirmed cases of COVID-19 are not present
- Continue to emphasize mitigating measures to minimize the spread of illness
- Discourage unnecessary travel
- Avoid congregations of more than 50 people outside the school day
- Limit visitations of non-school personnel to schools
- Encourage high risk individuals to minimize contact
Due to these clear recommendations from Public Health, and the rapidly evolving national restrictions GCMS School District will immediately cancel all travel, competitions, and community gatherings from Thursday, March 12 through Sunday, April 5, 2020 in an effort to minimize risk and garner further understanding of appropriate actions for the remainder of the school year.
This decision is being made across our region for all schools, we are not alone in the disappointment of lost opportunities, but have appreciation for the necessity of this decision. At this point in time we hope that this temporary moratorium on events and activities will allow for future events, contests, and celebrations to occur.
Please continue to monitor our communications mechanism for future correspondence and direction.